Work. Some of us love what we do with a passion, while others go through each 9 to 5 doing a job they hate, just to put food on the table. So when it comes to retirement, you have the delighted and the dejected.
But what exactly is retirement? What does it involve? The trick is to see retirement as a start of a new life and not an end to life itself.
Merrill Lynch and Age Wave released a study titled Leisure in Retirement: Beyond the Bucket List and here are a few of the findings.
88% of retirees say retirement is a time for new beginnings.
53% of retirees have not planned for how they will spend their retirement.
92% of retirees say retirement affords them the freedom and flexibility to do what they want.
As a retiree, you likely have the money and the time to do exactly what you want, when you want to do it.
So ditch the knitting needles, get your kids to look after their own children and find new ways to keep yourself busy. Stuck for ideas? We’ve got you covered
1. Love your job and don’t want to leave your company? Don’t! Find out about joining the board or being a committee member, mentor or consultant.
2. Share your knowledge by mentoring others.
3. Start a group choir, join an amateur dramatics society, take up pole dancing, whatever takes your fancy!
4. Do some charity work abroad. This will let you explore new places and cultures while also helping those in need.
5. Look after your physical health. Join a specialised strength and conditioning gym which offers individualised programming. Go on walking/hiking tracks. Start yoga or Pilates.
6. As well as exercising your body, don’t neglect your brain. Why not go back to uni or learn a new skill? This could be martial arts, painting, poetry or writing your memoirs!
7. Start your own franchise business. With so many franchise opportunities available, you can literally choose one to perfectly suit your interests.
8. Start a passion project. This could be starting an animal sanctuary, up-cycling clothes for needy children in developing countries, starting a mobile toy library for underprivileged kids. The possibilities are endless.
Get in contact with us today for a complimentary retirement chat. Our Retirement Specialists can devise a framework for success so you’ll be ready to take on this new phase in life.